Pages

Monday, June 11, 2007

Transpose is the word of the day.

I have been bugged for along time about how to change the orientation of my data in Excel. Today, I fell across the word "Transpose." I use this when I want to take a table such as average user time on public computers and make it fit on one sheet of paper without making the font so small that only ants can read it. The branch names are the rows and the months are the columns. What happens is that for the 20 or so months we have been running sam, the data runs onto a several page wide print out. Transpose allows me to create a tall table rather than a wide table without having to re-type all those numbers.

Howto: Select the text to transpose, select copy, go to the destination cell, right click and check the transpose box at the bottom. Voila! Freedom Fries for everyone!

No comments: